ICT enabling and facilitating personalised learning
The challenge of designing the ICT system to support current and future approaches to shape teaching around the different ways individual students learn is the main focus of this paper. The key elements addressed include:
- Learning Styles and Learning Strategies - Learning resources to support different approaches and learning styles are being considered and deployed; more student centric models are being considered with the potential to provide metacognitive support for learners and teachers
- Learner enabling resources - include new models that support and understand the learner’s progression, style and approach to learning. These help both learner and teacher find an effective learning path to maximize potential. Storage of personal progression and portfolios are being developed and deployed
- Learning anytime anywhere - with virtual learning environments providing better support for individual learning paths
- Motivation –increased motivation, self confidence and self esteem in addition to attainment results through the use of ICT
In practical terms, the challenge means provisioning the following elements:
- The design of Learning Spaces supporting learner centric, individual, group collaboration ,teacher facilitated and teacher led models
- Creative new resources to enhance teaching and learning - providing toolkits, content resources, lesson models, the resources of major libraries and the World-Wide-Web and the development of new more open ended models.
- The deployment of effective VLE/LMS solutions – Virtual Learning Environments to effectively manage the learning process, providing the teacher and student with effective tools to manage personalised learning paths.
- Solutions to manage students’ personal e-portfolio to demonstrate achievement and attainment in both standardised learning processes and in more open-ended, higher-order and personalised learning processes.